Purchasing ExpectationsNovember 23, 2001
Overall Objective: To efficiently and effectively purchase product in the least amount of time and cost while adhering to the highest product quality.
- Thoroughly understanding Shopworks in all purchasing aspects. No longer will you be hand writing notes and duplicating your efforts by unnecessary paperwork.
- Keeping a clean and FUNCTIONAL office. Unnecessary and outdated paperwork will be tossed in the garbage.
- Managing your receiving staff to help you with day-to-day tasks. Train them to match up orders and take on monotonous tasks that you usually do. This will free up more time to focus on purchasing.
- Work SMART. Use Shopworks purchasing reports to plan your day. Don’t rely on work orders, boxes and baskets to manage your purchasing.
- You must get all your purchasing, receiving and returns done in an 8 hour time slot. If you are going over the 8 hour mark you are not using your time efficiently. We all understand there will be times when you will have to go over 8 hours.
- All purchasing and receiving must be done in a workday. If you aren’t getting everything done, you are holding up orders. I.E. if the goods arrive in the morning from UPS, they all should be counted and sent to production within 24 hours or less from receiving.
- Returns must be sent back within one week. Each Friday after our meeting you are required to send ALL returns back to the vendor. You must block out 8 am to 12 pm for doing returns. NO Exceptions.
- All purchasing should be done in an 8-hour time slot.
- You should also allow for at least 30 minutes for a lunch break. Lunch breaks should be taken outside of your office so you can relax. We all need breaks during the day.
- All receiving should be done in an 8 hour time slot.
- All purchasing should be at the LOWEST cost possible. That means negotiating and shopping orders with different vendors. You should also work on freight costs with vendors. We need to SAVE money in the purchasing department.
- RETURNS: Returns are the BIGGEST loss of money here at Northwest Embroidery. You can easily run up a $20,000 tab of returns if you don’t return them every Friday. You are required to have ALL returns back to the vendor each Friday.
- Paying Bills: Authorizing bill payment for goods we haven’t returned or received will not be tolerated. Remember: Would you pay your credit card bill if there was an incorrect charge on it?
- Overtime: There should be NO reason why we are paying overtime for anybody in the receiving department.
Highest Quality Product:
- We have to buy the highest quality merchandise at the LOWEST cost. We can’t deliver our customer an inferior product.
- We must make sure we get the correct product that the customer requests.
- Correct Sizing. We must make sure all the sizes are correct. Rejected orders cost us money.