To ensure equipment is safe to work on, you must turn off the power or close valves. The instructions for how to do this will differ depending on your workplace.
To turn off electrical power, you should:
- Switch off the power at the breaker
- Make sure the breaker connections are off
- Lock the breaker in the off position
To turn off hydraulic and pneumatic power, you should:
- Close the valves and lock them in place
- Open the pressure relief valves or close the airlines to release the pressure
To release potential mechanical energy:
- Carefully release any compressed springs
- Block any parts that may move if the spring could transfer energy to them
To prevent parts from falling, use a safety block or pin.
To turn off chemical energy:
- Close and lock the valves for chemical supply lines
- Block the chemical supply by capping the ends or draining the chemicals from the supply lines